It is important to know how to review and manage your inspection violations as they occur. At times, these violations can be insightful for necessary changes within your organization. However, there are instances that inaccurate violations are identified and need to be reviewed. Properly using the DataQ review process can be a great asset in making sure your CSA BASICs scores reflect the quality of your operations.
When a violation is received, your drivers should notify you or your designated safety person immediately. Confirm with the driver that the problems identified by the inspection officer were accurate. If so, take the time to make the necessary changes to prevent future violations. However, if the driver states that the violation was not warranted, this should be looked at objectively.
The best approach is having a company policy, where drivers are required to document the inspection as the officer accounts for possible violations and capture the evidence the inspection officer is acknowledging is in violation or out of service. Drivers can:
- Take pictures of the specific violation and why
- Take pictures of what is referenced to be unacceptable
- Possibly take a video that captures the violation (if a piece of equipment is identified as loose, show the state of condition)
- If repairs need to be made due to out of service, have a hired mechanic confirm and make any repairs. The mechanic can document the work performed or document that equipment conditions are satisfactory and safe and not out-of-service.
These forms of documentation can assist in confirming the violation or show that the violation was inaccurate or not applicable. Then your organization can complete their RDR (Request for Data Review) on the DataQ portal. Here are additional tips in completing your online request:
- Insert the appropriate Report number from the inspection
- Reconfirm the regulatory language and guidelines that does not apply to your violation
- Provide a clear description of the circumstances in the explanation section
- Upload the supporting documentation that demonstrates the illegitimacy of the violation in question
- During the review process, if you are asked to provide additional information, request for additional time to adequately provide the supporting documents
If you need assistance in reviewing your inspections, reviewing your data on DataQs, or want to discuss your Safer Profile, please contact one of our or our Towing Safety Specialists or our Towing Safety Specialist.